Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Chicken with Honey and Cumin Marinade

During a visit to Galway City’s Latin Quarter some years ago, my husband and I randomly chose a restaurant from Quay Street’s vibrant array of pubs and cafés. I don’t recall the name of the restaurant or what I had for dinner. My only recollection is of the saucy Spanish chicken wing starter.

The combination of flavors fascinated me. I took each bite in "ingredient analysis mode." What made this chicken just-right hot? Sour? Sweet? The place was too busy to ask for the recipe, but when I returned to New Hampshire, I found a honey-cumin chicken recipe in one of my Spanish cookbooks. After several experiments, I produced a comparable dish, easy to fix and wonderful with larger chicken parts. I’ve served it to company several times with rave reviews.

The last time we visited Galway, I wanted to try the wings again to see how my chicken measured up. Sadly, the restaurant had closed, but with this chicken dish, I can conjure up Quay Street any time I like. Enjoy!


CHICKEN with HONEY and CUMIN MARINADE
2-5 lbs. of your favorite chicken parts           3 tsps. dried thyme
¼ cup olive oil                                                    3 tsps. cumin
½ cup white wine                                              2-3 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbs. sherry or champagne vinegar              2 Bay leaves
4 Tbs. honey                                                        1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. Buffalo Wing or Hot Sauce                   Fresh ground black pepper

1. Trim and wash chicken. Place in airtight bag or marinater. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Marinate for at least one hour.

2. Preheat oven to 350°. Transfer chicken and marinade to baking pan. Bake skin side up, basting once or twice, for one hour or until nicely browned.

2 comments:

  1. This looks scrumptious and quite easy to prepare for a crowd. Thanks for experimenting Pat, and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Wendy! I promise the chicken will disappear quickly. We love it. It's a nicely balanced blend of flavors and goes well with many side dishes. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete