LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
(Potage Parmentier)4 medium leeks, white parts and 1 inch of green
4 Tbs. butter, divided
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
5 cups fat-free chicken broth, simmering
1 Tbs. dry dill, or 2-3 Tbs. fresh chopped dill
Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
1 cup light cream
1. Trim leeks, wash well, and roughly chop.
2. Melt 2 Tbs. of the butter in a large saucepan. Sauté leeks in butter over low heat until tender, about ten minutes.
3. Stir in potatoes. Add heated broth and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook slowly, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Let cool. Place in blender and purée until smooth. Return to saucepan.
5. Add cream, dill, white pepper, more salt if desired, and remaining butter. Reheat until simmering. Serve with crusty bread or Popovers. Serves 4-6.