Friday, April 21, 2017
Adriatic Shrimp Brochettes
Whether you use fresh or frozen shrimp, be sure to buy the best you can find. I’ve tried several kinds of breadcrumbs, both store bought and homemade, and have found that for this recipe, the good old Progresso dry Italian breadcrumbs work best.
ADRIATIC SHRIMP BROCHETTES
1 - 1½ lbs. medium to large shrimp
3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
3 Tb. light extra virgin olive oil
Several minced garlic cloves, to taste
1 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
½ tsp. salt (optional)
Lemon wedges (optional)
1. When ready, set the top rack in the oven close to the broiler. Preheat the broiler at least 10 minutes before cooking the shrimp.
2. Shell, devein, and wash the shrimp. Dry and place in a mixing bowl. Add enough of the oils to coat the shrimp. Fold in the minced garlic.
3. Stir in the breadcrumbs a little at a time, until the shrimp is lightly coated. Don’t worry if the breadcrumbs don’t completely stick to the shrimp.
4. Add parsley. Season with salt, if desired. Let the shrimp marinate at least 20 minutes at room temperature, or several hours in the refrigerator.
5. Thread shrimp on flat skewers, threading each shrimp in two places to keep it from spinning on the skewer. Leave a little space between each shrimp so they all brown evenly.
6. When the broiler is ready, Set the skewers on a tray or cookie sheet (lined with aluminum foil, if desired). Cook the shrimp on one side until a crisp, golden crust forms, about 3 minutes. Turn shrimp and cook another 2 minutes or so.
7. Serve hot with lemon wedges and side dishes of your choice. A good dry wine, such as Pinot Grigio, will complement the shrimp well.