Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Zucchini Potato Pancakes
Contributed by Dawn Marie Hamilton
My husband came home from work on Friday with a bag of zucchini from a coworker's garden. So I smiled when I read Pat's recipe for Middle Eastern Zucchini Salad. Another zucchini recipe to try.
But what else could I make?
How about these delicious zucchini potato pancakes, which I served with smoked salmon and a bottle of pinot grigio for Sunday brunch. The pancakes were such a hit I made them again for breakfast on the 4th.
Using a food processor makes shredding the vegetables a snap.
3 cups peeled and shredded golden potatoes (about six size B)
2 cups shredded (with skins on) zucchini
1 cup shredded onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup unbleached flour
2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 teaspoons oil
1. Place shredded vegetables between layers of paper toweling and squeeze out excess liquid.
2. In a large bowl, combine vegetables with eggs, cornmeal, flour, oregano and pepper.
3. Heat 1-teaspoon oil in a griddle or large sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, drop just a bit less than one cup of mixture into the pan and spread into a 5 to 6-inch circle. Cook until golden brown on both sides. (About 3 minutes for first side and 4 minutes for second side.)
4. Remove from pan to a parchment lined baking sheet and place in warm oven.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for six pancakes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream.