Serve this soup-like supper with your favorite pilaf and a dollop of yogurt (laban).
GROUND LAMB and ZUCCHINI (FEDICAY)
1½ - 2 lbs. ground lamb 2-3 medium yellow squashes
1 large onion, finely chopped 3-4 cups chicken broth, boiling
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce 2 tsps. Syrian allspice (baharat)
2-3 medium zucchinis Salt and pepper
1. Wash squashes well. Slice into half-inch rounds (the thick slicing blade of a food processor is ideal), and reserve. Bring broth to a simmer.
2. Fry lamb and onion in a 6-quart pot. (No oil necessary, the lamb will have enough fat.) Stir until lamb is browned and most of the onion juices have evaporated, 10-12 minutes. Season lamb with salt and pepper.
3. Add tomato sauce to lamb and stir well, cooking for a few minutes to heat through.
4. Lay squash over the lamb. Add enough broth to almost cover the squash. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the squash is steamed tender, about 8-10 minutes (or to desired doneness).
5. Remove pot from heat. Add Syrian allspice to taste. Stir/rough chop squash into lamb. Serve with rice or wheat pilaf and yogurt. Serves 6-8.